The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that 13% of the world’s population suffers from some kind of phobia. Among the most common phobias is the irrational fear of boats, technically called thalassophobia. Those who suffer from this disorder are not only afraid of boats, but of everything around them: the sea, the ocean, and of course, traveling by boat. Fortunately there are several resources for those suffering from thalassophobia. Here’s how to get over your fear of boats.
- Seek psychological help to overcome this problem. There are psychologists and psychiatrists who specialize in treating phobias. It is necessary that you overcome this irrational fear of boats and the sea, especially that you do not suffer again such annoying symptoms as tachycardia, anxiety, sweating and trembling.
- If you are bothered by going to a personal interview with a professional, you can do so online. There are many psychologists and psychiatrists who work that way, because they know that many patients do not like to expose themselves.
- Consider trying a hypnosis session with a highly trained professional or download a pre-recorded MP3. Many people have overcome phobias through this technique. Hypnosis allows us to know the origin of a phobia, which makes it easier to overcome it. Some people doubt hypnosis, but the best thing you can do is learn about this technique and draw your own conclusions.
- If you want to get over your boat phobia, exercising will help. Physical training releases endorphins, which are the hormones of psychological well-being, which will help you eliminate the negative thoughts that your phobia generates. You can try simple exercises such as walking or cycling, which relaxes and clears the mind of excessive worry.
- Practice meditation. Meditation is a technique that allows you to relax the mind through deep breathing, eliminating all negative thoughts. After meditation, everything is seen from a new and improved perspective. You can find guided meditations on the internet, which are free of charge. It is recommended to meditate twice a day: in the morning upon waking and at night, before sleeping. The meditation should last at least five minutes each time.
- Consider overcoming your fear of boats through music therapy, with a highly trained professional. This technique is effective in combating phobias because the music can deeply relax those who suffer from irrational fears. That’s why it’s important that you look for a music therapist who has prestige in this area. Unfortunately, some people do not choose a suitable professional.
- Inform yourself as much as you can about your object of fear, which in your case is the boat and everything related to the sea and the ocean. Knowing what you fear helps you overcome your fear of that particular object, because you’ll have a new perspective.
Fear of boats, or any phobia, negatively affects the quality of life of those who suffer from it. It doesn’t matter if your phobia originated in childhood or you have a hereditary problem. Now you have the power to overcome it, Fortunately there are several types of resources that can help you.